Requirements for Doctoral Degree
- The study period of the PhD program is limited to a length of two to seven years.
- At least a total of thirty seven (37) credit hours is required for all doctoral students except those from the direct PhD program, who are required to finish at least thirty credits for graduation.
- Of the thirty-seven (37) credits required, ten (10) are core courses, eighteen (18) must be from the student’s chosen concentration/major (including inter-varsity elective courses) and nine (9) from elective courses (including inter-varsity elective courses).
- The maximum number of credits that can be taken per semester is twelve (12) credits.
- Total credits taken out of the institute must not exceed nine (9) credits, but advisors may, depending on the research needs of the student, provide a signatory approval for one additional elective course from another institute; in which case the total credits must not exceed twelve (12) credits.
- Independent Study 1 and Independent Study 2 are core courses (one credit per semester). Independent Study 1 is offered in the first semester and Independent Study 2 is offered in the second semester annually.
- Qualifications for register for the course(s): students must have enrolled in the doctoral program for at least one full academic year at the institute.
- Professional Practicum 1 and Professional Internship 2 are core courses (one credit per semester). Professional Internship 1 is offered in the first semester and Professional Internship 2 is offered in the second semester annually.
- Qualifications for register for the course(s): students must have finished at least thirty (30) credits.
- Practicum Location: The practicum shall take place at universities or colleges primarily. If the current workplace of the student fulfils the requirement of the practicum, students may take their practicum at their present unit under supervision of the advisors.
- Focus of Practicum: Students majoring in Instruction and Assessment will focus on teaching and research-based professional practicum while students majoring in Psychology and Counseling will mainly engage in on-site counseling practices (as determined by the advisors).
Students must have completed at least thirty (30) credits before they are eligible for qualification examination on the following four courses:
- Core Courses: Research Methods in Social Science and Studies in Contemporary Educational Psychology
- Concentration/Major courses: Examinees may choose two courses of their major field.
Dissertation Proposal Hearing
Qualifications: Students must have completed at least thirty (30) credits.
Dissertation Oral Defense
Qualifications: students must have finished at least thirty (30) credits and professional practicum, and have passed the qualifying examination and dissertation proposal hearing with at least a six-month elapse.